Friday, April 8, 2011

World Blog

A while back, in class, i mentioned that during the events of March 11th, I had a difficult time finding information on what was going on. I mentioned the world blog I found that helped me get hourly information about this event. As I found it in my favorites list and went back over the events posted from that day, I thought that this kind of website would really be helpful in posting updates on the status of a rebellion you favored. For example, the zapatista movement, the movement in Oaxaca, etc. Today the internet connects us all to what is happening all over the world. It would be great to have a site like this run by the people involved in the movement or by a third party and to recieve updates as they were happening. This way, the truth is out there and unerasable and no one can say "oh the rebels started the violence" etc. Anyways, this is the website http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/ And here is the blog I was following about Japan http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/11/6243734-live-blog-huge-tsunami-hits-japan-after-89-quake

4 comments:

  1. I think this is a very interesting and helpful site, however, I question how biased it may be. All of the posts are written by NBC correspondents from all over the world. The public then has the chance to respond to and comment on the posts. Depending on the view of NBC, the information could definitely be skewed and false information could be provided to people. I think it is nearly impossible to have a site that is completely unbiased and gives the public the actual truth, mainly because of all of the politics behind the news stations. I do think, though, that a site similar to this one that was run by leaders of a particularly movement would be extremely helpful in keeping the community and other communities aware of issues occurring and the progress of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This site is pretty interesting but I would like to say in regards to these posts being Biased or not though the view of the news reporters is the main idea some people would read and reflect more on the comments that the people would say. I for one would like all the different perspectives laid out in front of me before I would completely make a decision in regards to my thoughts on a situation. For all we know the person posting a topic on the blog would have one perspective whereas someone who just had something happen to someone close to a movement could have an entirely different view or reasons behind an event that took place. I would say this because I remember that while we were watching the film in class they said that The rebels were doing this and being violent when it was truly the police that was using violence. This is something that I would begin to need to see all of the different information that would be available to me before my thoughts were completely formed. Other than that these sights do seem useful. Sam I do agree that a similar could be run by the leaders of particular movements but then there will always be those other people who think that their imput would be important also and want something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definately agree that it could be biased. ALthough, really what isnt these days. one has to go to many sites and get information from many locations in order to really get all of the sides. However, when somethning really important and earth-shattering is going on, it's helpful to get the basic play by play on the events going on. I found it out of desperation; i favorited it because I was impressed that it was the only one giving me information about hawaii and california as it was happening. There was a disturbing lapse in coverage that day about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. Right when it was supposed to affect hawaii and california, the coverage stopped. It really got me the news i was seeking fast. As for everyth

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..As for everything else that's every day news, and especially something political, I'm sure I'd have to do more research.

    ReplyDelete