Thursday, April 14, 2011

More Zapatista (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUpcuM95t5M

I ran across this video on the Internet of two guys who are interviewing the Zapatista people. The video does not explain why they are interviewing them or how they even got there. My guess is they are just traveling around the world. They do state that they want to share the message of the Zapatista movement to the world. There is also some great artwork in the video as well. I was really amazed when he started the interview and they were wearing black ski-masks and it was a woman who began to talk and I could not even tell their gender at first. The video to me is kinda sad because it's so dangerous to be a part of the movement they have to disguise themselves. I think this effected me so much because this is the forst time i seen them upclose in an in-depth interview. Enjoy the video.

2 comments:

  1. Wow this is really cool. How did you find this? lol. I checked it out an it's kindof like a show. THey do a lot of travel videos. I'm totally going to look for it now - it seems like it could have definately gotten a spot on the discovery channel. This video was really interesting, and I'm really glad that they took the time and effort to connect with these people and their struggle.

    This video really is Zapatista movement 101 - which is great becasue it spells everything out for those who didnt know about it (which is proabably a fair few - not many of us knew either).
    I really liked the mural of all the masked members of the society as being the kernals in the half-husked corn. Each of the faces, though maskedm were totally different - just goes to show you that out of adversity blossoms creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed watching the video, thanks blondean 2005. I also think it is important to draw attention to the ski mask that the zapatistas wear because it has different effects. For example the ski mask sends a message of intimidation towards the public in general. For example when I first saw a zapatista I was scared and confused just from their image, which is a good thing and a bad thing, because they don't get the acceptance they need. But as we now know the mask serves the purposo of hiding their faces so that they cannot be attacked by the government. Also like we saw in the video the gender differences are diminished.

    Tha ski mask is one of the symbols of the zapatistas. And it is important to look closely at it.

    ReplyDelete