Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Billboard Regional Mexican Music Summit, 2009

Every year, BMI puts on their Noche Mexicana music showcase in California. It features the most influential regional Mexican songwriters, producers and performers. The ones included in 2009 (which was one of the only ones I could find good information on) are the following: La Santa Cecilia, Cesar Brizuela, Hermanos Herrera, Oliver Ochoa, Santos Diablito and Larry Hernandez. I'll discuss some of the musicians, but I would really recommend visiting the site and checking out some of their music.

La Santa Cecilla is what they describe as the "modern-day creative hybrid". The band is from L.A. and is a total of six members. They are known for comining Cumbia and Bossa Nova with the Bolero and Tango, as well as adding in Afro-Cuban percussion with jazzy trumpet tunes. I think that this is one type of music that will continue to become extremely popular both in Mexico as well as the United States. Often times, people get bored with music that they consider to be "traditional" and are looking for something new. By mixing all of these different styles and genres, La Santa Cecilla is definitely creating something that sounds new. Although their styles may be knew, they do have some musical examples that are very well known. Take a listen to Strawberry Fields on their myspace music page.

Here's the link to the article I was referring to: http://www.bmi.com/news/entry/539532

2 comments:

  1. I find this article very interesting. Every group or person they described was as if they were the best at what they do. I really like how it's just not one type of music. I feel like there trying to reach a broader audience. I agree with you they kind of go against what the normal really is and they mix alot of types of music together and they come up with something great. I hope this music continues to grow as well and become more popular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with blondean and I think it is necessary to break the pattern to create better music. I understand that there are people out there that are experts in certain fields of music such for example corridos, but that should not stop you from experimenting with different music. Why limit your options????????

    ReplyDelete