Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ska Music

Hey guys I am not sure about you all but I listen to varieties of music and one of the genres that I personally love listening to would be Ska Music. As I begin to look into Mexican Music I learned that Ska music entered Mexico during the third wave of it in the United States in the 1980's and maintained popularity in the 1990's just like in the United States. This is something that has me interested in finding more artists playing this form of music.

Here if you guys wanna have a listen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P341W77b9hY

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this song - it's fun to hear. Reminds me how I was into Latin American ska in college, including the Mexican group Maldita Vecindad. Tried to hear them live in 1996 in Mexico City but one of them was sick, so Santa Sabina played instead (another great group, but not ska).
    Check out Maldita Vecindad here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N89lzn7in9k

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love skaa music. It's just great. They could be singing about the most depressing thing in the world and it would still sound fun... just like the mariachi and corridos actually. I think it's the trumpets. The trumpets somehow give it a whimsical feeling that takes the damper out of the sometimes down lyrics. I mean, not all ska has trumpets, but if you listen to the mighty mighty bosstones, it kindof has some similariteis to the mexican music we've been studying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link, Matt. I enjoyed it. I have never heard of ska before so I looked it up. Definition: "A style of fast popular music having a strong offbeat and originating in Jamaica in the 1960s, a forerunner of reggae. Ska combined elements of Caribbean mento and calypso with American jazz and rhythm and blues. It is characterized by a walking bass line accented with rhythms on the upbeat. Ska entered Mexico in the 1980s, originally in Mexico City, and the genre enjoyed its highest popularity during the 1990s."

    ReplyDelete